g
g
l
e

c
b
o
x
Plot - Getting Started - Rules - Application - Claims - Codes - Who's Who - Plotters - Want Ads - Absences - Members - Store

RPG-D
We are

days

hours

minutes

seconds

old.
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

My friend is an idiot., Peadar
Bradan Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 6 2017, 12:32 AM
PMQuote
- 11 posts - 14 - -
Student / Mob Kid
Teddy
11 points

What? No, I'm good. Lucien was at it again, trying to come up with a way that Bradan's skills could benefit the both of them. Bradan wanted to practice, sure, but mainly so he could provide some assistance to his cousins when he graduated. That was kind of what their family did, as far as he could tell. And his cousins had been pretty good to him over the years, so he felt like he owed them to some extent.

Needless to say, he was unimpressed. In fact, he was angry this time. Finding out if someone was cheating on another student? That wasn't his business, but was rather just stupid. And Bradan was not interested. So he and his best friend, unfortunately, were fighting. Despite having his father in the same building, Bradan knew he could not explain what was happening.

That's why, when he saw his father walking down the hallway towards him, Bradan realized it was too late to hide how angry he was. Instead, he started coming up with a story to replace the truth. Surely that was something he could handle, after everything else that had happened.

^
Peadar Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 6 2017, 12:55 AM
PMQuote
Ace - 25 posts - 35 - 5'10" - Halfblood
Ilvermorny
Potions Professor
Liz
2 points

Who do we need to murder? For a second there, Peadar was just ready to smile and say "hi" and make some sort of dumb dad joke. Then he took in Bradan's body language, and there was a quick shift in his brain. Or his instincts. It was something; something viscerally changed when there was any hint of a threat to the kid's well-being. It was something that had come from his close-knit family childhood - from defending Searlait against racists - and then just been honed and distilled over the years. Peadar was a pretty calm person on a regular day, but he immediately became a tiger in response to any threat. So, now, he was ready to kill.

Unfortunately, and awkwardly, that reaction was usually pretty overblown for Ilvermorny. He couldn't exactly go murdering students who were mean to his kid. But, oh well. It would be useful again once Bradan graduated and was doing ... something for the family.

He frowned, shoving his hands in his pockets as the distance between them lessened. "What's going on?" he asked, scrutinizing Bradan's face for any hints.

--------------------
Peadar "Ace" Quigley
Potions Professor
Active member of the O'Brien crime family
5'10" and muscular
A true soldier does not admit defeat before the battle.
Ace's App - Tracker - Plotter
^
Bradan Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 6 2017, 01:09 AM
PMQuote
- 11 posts - 14 - -
Student / Mob Kid
Teddy
11 points

What? No, I'm good. Bradan really wished his dad was worse at figuring out when something was off. That would've made his time at Ilvermorny a bit easier. Other than the whole professor thing already complicating things. It was good in some ways, of course, to have someone from home to ensure he was never going to feel homesick. But it did make him the butt of jokes sometimes. Bradan didn't care about that so much. It was mostly the look in his dad's eyes that made this difficult. It was one thing for a father to look murderous for his son, and another entirely for his son to experience murder - even from a second hand kind of perspective - and not actually be too freaked out by it.

It was a weird thing to think about, and he wasn't sure that he liked that it had happened. But he wasn't as phased by it as he should have been, probably. Perhaps that was just the family mentality.

"I'm fine, da. It's just been a busy day," he claimed, noting yet again that it was harder to fake being fine now that his father was okay again. Somehow, Peadar was too important or too close to home or something. Acting in front of him was always more difficult. "We've got a Transfiguration essay due at the end of the week, so..." And he just shrugged, hoping that would be enough.

^
Peadar Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 6 2017, 06:24 PM
PMQuote
Ilvermorny
Potions Professor
Liz
2 points

Who do we need to murder? It sounded convincing. It really did. Peadar wouldn't have been at all suspicious if it hadn't been for the general shift in Bradan's demeanor that had been taking place over the past few months. The whole thing was subtle, but he could tell.

On the bright side, he figured, it was probably just puberty, and what kid wanted that pointed out? It wasn't like he couldn't check in pretty much any time he felt it was necessary. If things started going into an intense downward spiral, he would be perfectly able to step in and minimize the damage.

Still, though. It was hard to resist trying to interfere. After a bit of suspicious hesitation, he nodded and turned to walk with his son in the direction the kid had originally been heading. "You need any help with it?" he inquired. ... Regarding the essay, of course. Not the general unpleasant puberty thing.

--------------------
Peadar "Ace" Quigley
Potions Professor
5'10" and muscular
^
Bradan Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 6 2017, 08:13 PM
PMQuote
- 11 posts - 14 - -
Student / Mob Kid
Teddy
11 points

What? No, I'm good. His father turned to walk with him and Bradan internally complained. It wasn't his da's fault, of course. Bradan was fine with keeping secrets for the most part, but it felt weird to hide something that he had come to understand was normal for their family. But it didn't really comply with what he thought their usual standards were. A stolen painting? Was that really worth a life? Maybe Bradan didn't understand value yet or something.

"With the essay? No, I'm okay." He shook his head. Maybe he should've just said no, rather than qualifying it. But maybe he could get away with it. He was already lying, so what was a little embellishment at this point?

^
Peadar Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 7 2017, 12:14 AM
PMQuote
Ilvermorny
Potions Professor
Liz
2 points

Who do we need to murder? Peadar arched an eyebrow and tried to suppress a chuckle. Yeah, Bradan was definitely hiding something. He just didn't even remotely suspect that it was anything other than the typical teenage stuff: girls or sneaking out or drinking firewhiskey.

"Right," he agreed, "the essay. ... You gonna go to that Samhain dance thing this year?" He really didn't understand the American school obsession with dances. There hadn't been a single one during his tenure at Hogwarts, but at Ilvermorny there were three a year. Odd.

--------------------
Peadar "Ace" Quigley
Potions Professor
5'10" and muscular
^
Bradan Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 10 2017, 05:02 PM
PMQuote
- 11 posts - 14 - -
Student / Mob Kid
Teddy
11 points

What? No, I'm good. Bradan made a choice not to look at his father. He didn't want to know if the professor could see through him, and he liked to think that he could maybe hide better if they didn't make eye contact anymore. Hide the truth, that is. But the question his father asked actually made him laugh a little bit derisively.

"Da, I'm fourteen. Who would I ask?" Bradan shook his head, feeling kind of bad for talking back like that. He respected his father, but he had been stressed lately so that was the real reason for all of this. Not the essay or the dance. Still, he decided that he had started the act so he had to keep it up. So he crossed his arms and shook his head as though he were extremely unimpressed.

^
Peadar Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 10 2017, 05:20 PM
PMQuote
Ilvermorny
Potions Professor
Liz
2 points

oh. apparently we need to murder you, punk. Fortunately for Peadar, he'd figured out how to deal with pubescent back-talk a few years before Bradan had started experimenting with it. Don't feed into it, and it becomes boring. Try to yell at a fourteen-year-old, and he just turns it into a power struggle, and being in a power struggle with a fourteen-year-old was stupid and oddly emasculating. Especially for a man who'd lost count of how many people he'd killed over the course of his life.

"Presumably another fourteen-year-old," he pointed out quite rationally. "Anyway, you don't have to go with someone. You just steal a girl away from her date once you're there." Peadar chuckled to himself as though reliving the dulcet girlfriend-stealing days of his youth.

--------------------
Peadar "Ace" Quigley
Potions Professor
5'10" and muscular
^
Bradan Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 10 2017, 06:29 PM
PMQuote
- 11 posts - 14 - -
Student / Mob Kid
Teddy
11 points

Hey. ...Maybe don't. Bradan looked up sharply at that, staring openly at his father. For a moment, he almost wondered what kind of girl would be interested in someone who had done what he had. But then he remembered a few things. First, he hadn't actually done the act himself. Second, his entire family was built on women marrying men like that.

The real problem, all others aside, was him. He sort of found girls interesting, but he wasn't exactly interested in a specific one yet. And besides that, he was busy with other things. It wouldn't be easy for someone to start liking him, only to find out how duplicitous he could (and would) be any chance it helped him out.

"I don't know. Maybe I'll just skip it."

^
Peadar Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 12 2017, 04:25 AM
PMQuote
Ilvermorny
Potions Professor
Liz
2 points

how are you related to me again? It was honestly a strange surprise to Peadar that Bradan wasn't a ladies' man. When Peadar was fourteen, he had gotten himself in trouble countless times by running out at night for the sake of seeing a girl. His parents had been honestly relieved that he got all the way to the age of twenty before knocking somebody up. So ... what did Bradan even do with his time? Merlin, the whole fatherhood thing was really pretty hard when it came down to it.

He shrugged. "Up to you, I guess. It's not as though there aren't others. They can be fun, though." Confusing kid.

--------------------
Peadar "Ace" Quigley
Potions Professor
5'10" and muscular
^
Bradan Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 17 2017, 10:44 AM
PMQuote
- 11 posts - 14 - -
Student / Mob Kid
Teddy
11 points

You tell me. Sighing heavily, Bradan had to accept that he was being more annoying than he really had a right to be. The truth of the matter was that he sort of wanted to just tell his father the story. Incidents like that were hardly uncommon with their family, and it was frustrating to try and come to terms with it on his own.

To be fair, he didn't think that he was the type to be opposed to revenge. Right then, he wanted to get that very thing on Lucien. But on the other hand, he got the feeling that he would have felt better about the whole thing if he had seen it coming or understood why something as useless as a painting could lead to something like that. At least he hadn't been the one to do it. He would've been so expelled.

So he ignored his father's advice completely, coming to a stop. "I doubt anyone here would want to go with me once they realized what I've done."

^
Peadar Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 17 2017, 04:30 PM
PMQuote
Ilvermorny
Potions Professor
Liz
2 points

... Um ... That ... what? A lead weight dropped into Peadar's gut, and for a moment, everything in the world around him stopped moving as those words bounced around in his head: what I've done what I've done what I've done

Because the kid hadn't done anything ... right? Or ... oh, no, wait, maybe he just meant that he'd started some untrue rumor about somebody, or nicked ingredients from the potions storeroom, or beaten somebody up. Yes. Peadar was just being ridiculous, because he'd grown so accustomed to jumping to the most violent conclusions.

So he swallowed as he stopped walking, too, and turned slowly to face Bradan. His hands were still in his pockets, but now they felt tense, as though they were about to draw into fists. "What have you done that's so terrible?" he asked softly, glancing around to make sure they were alone in the corridor.

--------------------
Peadar "Ace" Quigley
Potions Professor
5'10" and muscular
^
Bradan Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 23 2017, 03:51 PM
PMQuote
- 11 posts - 14 - -
Student / Mob Kid
Teddy
11 points

Uh-oh. Bradan wasn't at all sure how to explain. He shouldn't have said anything to start with. But it was much too late now. So he just decided to work with what he had and try to make it as not-bad as possible.

"I mean, you know how Lucien and his family are kind of... eccentric? This summer Luce was joking around about how I learn about people really quickly and can mimic people, and how it was sort of handy. And so he asked if I would do it for his family. Act like somebody, I mean." Bradan hesitated, glancing around the hallway awkwardly. "So I did. He's my best friend, so I figured... may as well. But turns out, they were trying to find out who stole something from them. And when we found them... the guy was-- well. Taken care of."

He frowned at the wording, but figured that was the best he could do considering they were at Ilvermorny and not at home. Anybody could be listening. Bradan wasn't exactly great at being subtle yet, though. "So it's basically my fault. But I didn't know it was gonna happen."

^
Peadar Quigley
 Posted on: Oct 25 2017, 01:02 AM
PMQuote
Ilvermorny
Potions Professor
Liz
2 points

... Um ... As he listened, Peadar's eyes just got wider and wider, and finally he took Bradan firmly by the arm and set off in the direction of the professors' apartments, essentially dragging the kid along with him.

There was just so much wrong with what his son had just said! First and foremost, he'd practically made his bones ... for another family. Cormac could never know. And Peadar hadn't been aware of it, and first kill was generally supposed to be a father-son bonding experience. At least he hadn't physically done the deed. And what could anybody steal that was worth dying for, besides kidnapping a family member? They could always be Obliviated!

He quickly unlocked his door and pulled Bradan inside before immediately re-locking it. Then he opened his mouth wordlessly like a fish for several moments. "You ... why? Start from the beginning. Every detail." He had absolutely slipped into his don't fuck with me tone of voice.

--------------------
Peadar "Ace" Quigley
Potions Professor
5'10" and muscular
^
Bradan Quigley
 Posted on: Dec 20 2017, 05:52 PM
PMQuote
- 11 posts - 14 - -
Student / Mob Kid
Teddy
11 points

Uh-oh. Bradan wasn't not used to that tone, but he had actually been behaving pretty well lately, apart from being distant. That wasn't fair. It wasn't his dad's fault or anything. And besides, Bradan had no real intentions of hanging out with Luce after all of that. It was too dangerous, somehow. "Aces, da. Calm down. Somebody might come by and notice." But then they were inside, and he sighed. "Someone stole this old portrait from his parents. A Rembrandt. I'm not sure, but I think maybe they had hidden something in the frame behind the actual painting, because they freaked out. So Luce told his dad and uncle that I'm good at remembering stuff about people. I can make my voice sound like them. It's only ever been a game. But then they gave my polyjuice potion and told me to go in and find out where it was. So I did. And they took us to this warehouse, and the guy that stole it was-- killed."
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Everything Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling <3
Skin coded by Liz
Header created by Nexus
Color palette designed by Poof
CBox toggle by Nicole